2 More Days Until School Starts

Derek, Sophie, and Jack had meet the teacher night at school on Thursday. We met all of their teachers and met old friends in their classes and new friends too. Jack is in Mrs. Ake and Mrs. Isbell's class, Sophie is in Mrs. Tutt's, Derek in Mrs. Bounds. During the summer the principal from the elementary called and told me about a new inclusion class that was being formed in the 1st grade. They were bringing in 3 children from the special education department to include in a mainstream class and that class would have 2 teachers rather than one. She thought I might consider this class for Jack. I thought it would be a good idea as his small motor skills are still redeveloping from the tumor. And because we don't know what this year will bring, 2 teachers means a little extra help is possible.
I went over all the medical stuff I needed to pass on to the teacher and to the nurse. My greatest concern for Jack is that he stays healthy and pray that God will put a hedge around him from unecessary germs this year. I will pray that every day for him. Because his immune system is compromised due to the chemotherapy, he is at more of a risk for hospitilization over any kind of fever, cold, flu...He is on a daily dose of bactrum which will help him as far as bacterial infections, but all those virus' that hang around school rooms are not affected by antibiotics. The oncologist said point blank, "Do not seclude your child, or keep him sheltered from other kids, let him go to school." He said seclusion causes more long term damage to the child's psyche than an illness will cause. Every week he will have his blood counts measured from a blood draw they do right before the chemo is given. Those numbers will help us know just how strong his immune system is, so that is our weekly guide to where we go.
As 4 days have passed since Jack's first chemotherapy treatment he has done well. He stayed dosed on the zofran for 12 hours after chemotherapy (the anti-nausea drug), did well the very next day, then the 2nd day he woke up nauseated, so I started him on the zofran again that day which made him feel better. The zofran tastes like a piece of metal melting in your mouth, so as you can imagine he is not too hip on taking it. We might try the liquid form next time and see how that tastes. The best news of all to Jack this week, was because he is feeling so well, that he and the other two kids were able to go ahead with their regular sleep over at the grandparents on Friday night. Everyone was happy about that, especially Rob and I because we celebrated our 10 year anniversary by going to a dinner and a movie.
Thanks for keeping up with Jack and our family, keep their new school year in your prayers.
Love, Tammy

Comments

Anonymous said…
I am glad that you guys got to have some time to celebrate!!! God is so good that he provides the right things when we need them. It sounds like this class with 2 teachers will be great for Jack. I always love the extra helping hands in my room!! I will definitely keep all the kids in my prayers as they start school and pray for a healthy environment for Jack.

I thought alot about you guys during my Meet the Teacher. I have a child who is in my class again. His sister is a 3rd grader and has a brain tumor. She will be starting chemo in the next couple of weeks. The mother was making arrangements for care of the little boy in my class while they go to Lubbock for treatment. I am so thankful that Jack is able to have his treatments here!!!! I will be praying Tuesday that things will go smoothly and Jack will not be sick after the treatment.

Enjoy the weekend together.

Love ya,

Rene
Anonymous said…
I can't wait to see your face. Thank you so much for the pictures on the blog. It is so good to be home and back in connection with my computer and YOU. This morning at church I will focus on your family during prayer time and spend communion thanking Jesus for the connection we have as the body of Christ. Maybe a phone call this afternoon? So looking forward to it. I love you,
Jana
Anonymous said…
Tammy, your love for your biological family as well as your love for us, your church family, is such an example to everyone. Not a day has gone by lately that I haven't thought about a day at Target that I saw this child crawling under one of the racks, then realized it was Jack, and just stood there with tears. That was before this last diagnosis. But that little face will continue to smile up from under the clothes racks. God's plan is not for us to understand, but He has wonderful plans for that little guy...which includes more forbidden bike rides and more crawling under the racks. For God to even put Jack with a Christian teacher shows the details that God goes to in taking care of His own.

We pray for a great first day of school tomorrow and a quick boring day on Tuesday.

We love you!!!! Foy and Mary Sue
Anonymous said…
My heart aches for you guys. We are so powerless once again. I will continue to pray for Jack and the whole family. You guys are amazing examples, I pray that Christ Power May Rest On You All.
Anonymous said…
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said…
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said…
I'm so glad you and Rob were able to spend some alone time together. We all need that from time to time. I will keep all the kids in my prayers this week as they start school, and especially Jack. And, you'll be in my thoughts and prayers on Tuesday. Hope all goes well and hope Jack feels good enough to ride his bike again after it's all over!

Love to you all,
The Boones
Anonymous said…
Tammy,
You are probably sick of people's suggetions, but I'm sending my 2 cents worth anyway. When Allison was smaller, she would get strep throat several times a year. We finally had her put a bottle of hand sanitizer in her crayon/pencil box at school and had her use it every time she took pencils or crayons out. Once she started doing that, she pretty much quit getting sick. It might be worth a try for Jack!

We wish you the best and I continue to pray for you.

Laura Phillips
Anonymous said…
Although I've never met your family, all of you are in my prayers every time I pray. Your words are inspirational and may God continue to bless you with strength and courage and above all hope for all the good things that are yet to come.

Take good care.

Tanya from Grants, NM

Popular Posts