Chemo starts Tuesday

Updates on Jack
I just spoke to the chemo nurse in Abilene and Jack will start chemotherapy on Tuesday. The drugs they will administer to Jack will be vincristine and carboplatin, these are the standard drugs for Jack's type of tumor. Nausea, vomiting, and hair loss are the common side effects. Carboplatin can cause an allergic reaction in many kids so they dose them with benadryl first. On the pediatric brain tumor website I asked others about their children's experience with this protocol of drugs. Those
(5 mom's) that responded said that although it didn't shrink or make the tumors go away, it did stop them from growing for the time they were on the drugs, and a time after. So in essence it bought those families a year to 2 years before radiation had to be used. The closer a child is to 10 years old, the less drastic the side effects of radiation have on their brain regarding learning difficulties and developmental delays.
Jack and I went and talked with Mrs. Davis, the principal at Jack's school. She was so helpful and made me feel comfortable about Jack's needs if he can't make it to school on a regular basis. I hope that he tolerates the drugs well so he can keep a schedule, but one teacher told me last year, don't worry about the school work, they can always catch up, focus on his immediate needs. I have to continue to remind myself to not sweat the small stuff. Do not worry about tomorrow, it will take care of itself.
Till the next time...............pray, I know you are.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Thought I would share my experience with chemo. I also had radiation. It was not nearly so bad as I had feared. I lost most of my hair and what I had left I cut as short as I could. Does it really matter if we have hair or not? About two or three days after chemo treatment I had little energy for a day or two. I gained about 25 pounds while taking treatment and am still carrying that around.

Jack, you're a big boy and I know you can handle this. I could watch movies, read a book, visit with other patients or take a nap. I even took the chemo to the bathroom with me. Hang in there, buddy!
Love and prayers,
Caryln Smith
Anonymous said…
Tammy,

You have such an amazing giving and caring heart. To see you at the funeral today in support of Delynda at her time of need was so encouraging. Even though things are tough right now in your family you are still reaching out to others! Thanks for being such a great example.

I will definitely be praying Tuesday during Jack's treatment that he will tolerate all the new medicines in his little body. I pray that he will continue to have the energy to run around and play! I agree with the teachers! He will catch up on all the school work after he gets better. You guys will have plenty of time to cuddle and read books together. It is amazing how much learning takes place during those special times! Mommies and Daddies are some of the best teachers!

I am so thankful that God has put you in contact with people who are in your situation and know what you are going through. God sends His angels to fill the gap when we are in need. I know it is a blessing to have someone to talk to that has had a child go through chemo like Jack will be going through.

Stay strong and always let us know if you need anything specific!!

Love ya,

Rene
Anonymous said…
Rob & Tammy,

You're such an inspiration to us! You have shown such courage through all of this. I hope if I'm ever faced with the same situation, I could handle it as well as you are. Hang in there! We will keep you and Jack (and D.J. and Sophie) in our prayers as he starts another new chapter in his little, brave life. Know your in our constant thoughts & prayers!

Popular Posts