The Driving Range




Today Derek and Jack and I went to the driving range while we were waiting for Sophie at gymnastics across the street. The boys had fun, they had been once before with Rob and my cousin Dave. I was surprised at how far both of them could hit the ball. They also left quite a bit of ground turned up, as they thought it was easier to hit the ball when it wasn't on a tee. You can see Jack squatting down behind Derek in one of the pictures trying to get the ball to stay on the tee, which wasn't easy for him. But never the less he did get quite a few to stay. One time he couldn't get the ball to steady on the tee, so he picked the tee up out of the ground and threw it into the range. Then he found another tee on the ground and used that one instead.
Jack is feeling well, it has been 4 days since his last chemo and because we don't have chemo until Friday this week I think he will have a week where he is feeling great.
In church on Sunday, we had a dramatic presentation by Curt Cloninger, all of my kids enjoyed it. It kept their interest and they listened attentively. Rob and I had not thought to explain to the kids beforehand what was going on, I guess with Rob doing drama's we thought they would understand that is what they were seeing. At one point Curt said, as Jesus, I think during the passover meal, "I am going to die,"..... after the final words that were spoken in the drama, Curt walked down the aisle and out of the auditorium, Jack leaned over and said, "Is that guy really going to die in three days?" So when I told Jack that this man was acting and saying the words Jesus said in the Bible, Jack said "OOHHH" and all the cogs clicked into place.
To a different subject, one that has been heavy on the heart of our family this weekend, my cousin David Gililland lives in California, attending the Fuller Institute, is visiting Abilene with his wife and 2 kids. He grew up here and we look forward to having them back full time next year. Friday night he and his brother Michael were out late hitting golf balls at the same range you see pictures of, they left the golf course, and Dave was headed home. He was by himself in his car and saw 3 young ladies standing on the side of the road with the hood of their car up, he rolled down the window, and asked if they needed help. They asked him if he could jump start their car and Dave pulled over to help. The moment he got out of his car 2 men hit him from behind, stole his wallet and other personal belongings. They beat the pulp out of him. No bones were broken, but his body is wounded from head to toe from the gravel ground he was on. I do not know anyone who is kinder and more caring for people than Dave. I have thanked God for him and his example of Jesus' love on earth. He is one of those people who you love to be around, he is a ton of fun, and always smiling. Please pray that his body and emotions heal. He is still smiling, but I can't even imagine what was going through his mind. He is an awesome man of God.
So 2 trips to the driving range in the last couple of days, with very different outcomes. In a split second things can change in our lives. The only constant thing in our life we can hold onto, is our Lord. Our stuff can be stolen or blown away by a hurricane as we have seen today, our health can turn in one moment, people who we count on can let us down, the only thing we can stand on firmly without being let down is our Rock who we call Jesus, Immanuel, God with us.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Your family is in my prayers.
Tammy M. said…
Thanks Larry and MC or your support against the spam advertising. I knew about this word verification, but had only had about 3 advertising spams since the blog was started. Today is a different story, I deleted about 20 spams before about 2:30 today then the ones that were up there when ya'll posted. Sorry you had to see junk like that. As you can see I have loaded the word verification on the blog, hopefully that will take care of the problem. Appreciate you both.
Tammy
Anonymous said…
Tammy: Loved the pictures!! and the story about the tee. I don't play golf but from my association with golfers I am assuming MANY of them want to throw the tees as well as their clubs. :-) What a fun outing for the guys. Needless to say we have been praying for "our" David and we totally agree with your description of our son by marriage. He has such a servant heart.

Please tell Jack and many people in Beaumont are still praying for him--and that even if they do not post people are keeping up with him on this wonderful BLOG. Thanks again for taking your time to do this.

we love y'all and will see you in a bit.

Dixie
Anonymous said…
I am going to try to leave a message for you and Rob, Tammy. We'll see if I can!! You won my heart, as you know a couple of years ago leading Beth Moore studies. Both you and Rob are living your faith, and I am so blessed to be able to call you friend. I pray everyday for all of you. My Love, Liz Lewis
Anonymous said…
Tammy,
I'm glad to know that Jack is feeling good and can have almost a full week at school this week. I do hope the nausia medicine keeps working well. Keeping that at bay will make all the difference in how well he manages.
I'm so sorry about what happened to David. I can't imagine being subjected to something like that, nor can I imagine how anyone could be so cruel to another person. I will pray that God would fill him brimming with his Spirit, physically and emotionally, to bring healing.
As always, you inspire me to be more faithful.
Love, Gay

Popular Posts