Back in the Saddle Again (or the chemo chair)

Jack started up phase 2 of his chemo protocol today. Went well just a long day. Jack watched the new Star Wars 3 on the dvd, so that was definately a great way to pass time. Derek, a chemo friend of Jack's was there today too. It is nice for them to have each other to hang out with on days like this. Derek, who is 6 years old, has leukemia, he started a different drug this week and it made him hurt, mainly his back. He came into the room in a wheelchair and just wanted to be laying down in some form on the big chairs. The drug is some kind of steroid, and it makes kids tired and makes their joints very achy. His mother, Margherite, does a great job tending to his needs, but she is very tired, please keep their family in your prayers. Leukemia and a brain tumor are 2 very different treatments, two different worlds that collide to get their chemo medicine at the same time, I am thankful to have met this family.

I have been reading, Under the Eye of the Clock, the life story of Christopher Nolan, written by Christopher Nolan. This is the boy that wrote the poem I Learn To Bow, that I wrote about a couple of posts ago. I am enjoying reading the book, but as this boy was a literary genius, he uses alot of descriptive words, it has not been an easy read for me, but a good one. This boy has Cerebral Palsy, and couldn't talk or make his limbs obey his commands. He had unbelievable parents. They almost reminded me of American "Hippies", but from Ireland. They were working folk, but they had a love for nature,poetry, art, music and even though their son was in a wheelchair he got to experience it as much as possible. When he was young they would lay him in the middle of ground to be explored, or carry him into a stream so he could feel what the water felt like on his legs and feet. I wondered how a child who could not communicate verbally learned so many words, I think God gave him a gift of words, and his parents showed him his world which became his muse, for his words to describe.
That makes me realize that there are so many experiences that as a parent I can give my children, if I will just slow down long enough to expand our horizons past our current task. Maybe I need to put on my calendar a horizon expansion day.....

I am ever grateful to you for your prayers for Jack. He is a true treasure among 6 year olds, and takes all that is forced upon him medically with such grace. Talk again soon.
Tammy

Comments

Anonymous said…
Tammy, Yes do put in a Horizon Expansion Day on your calendar. Thank you for the encouragement you have given me to do the same thing.

When facing huge obstacles, the focus becomes sharper and we tend to eliminate all other distractions. It is in this intensity that the voice of God sometiimes becomes so clear in our ears. God will brig to us so many things that fit our needs

Jack is comtinually in our prayers and so are you and the rest of your family. We praise God for showing us through you a demonstration of faith.

In Christ,
Miami Chick

Popular Posts