Jack and the Stomach Virus

Here we are at home on Thursday night. Rob has taken Sophie to the Daddy - Daughter Dance tonight. They are eating some fine food (my guess is chicken nuggets) and dancing the night away, I believe the Chicken Dance is the highlight of the evening. Sophie looked absolutely beautiful, and was very excited to spend a date night with her dad.
A visitor made its way into our house last night. The stomach virus. It hit Jack hard and he is having a slumpy day. Jack had the appointment with Dr. Bowman today and even though he was sick they still wanted him to come in. Lucky that we were the last scheduled appointment today so the place was pretty empty when we got there. When Jack got sick last night I was thanking the Lord that Jack's counts were good yesterday, so I didn't feel like we were in any serious trouble today. When Dr. Bowman saw Jack he said that he definately needed some IV fluids to make sure he stayed healthy. So we headed over to the chemo office again today and Jack got hooked up to the IV. It took a couple of hours but we are home now. When Dr. Bowman told us about the IV Jack was not happy about this development. He was insistant that he not be accessed through his port. He wanted the IV to go into his arm, I was glad when Dr. Bowman said, "Jack we just want to keep you happy. Nurse Sara will do whatever you want." Ah, the exhale, you could see him calm down a bit. Although you couldn't see it in his face as he was laying on a table facing the wall and refusing to turn around and look our way. Which is probably good, because I had a grin on my face the whole time.
Dr. Bowman said if he is not eating and drinking tomorrow that we would need to go to Cook's Hospital for a day or two. I think he should be fine, he has had a bite of food and a couple of sips of sprite so I am sure by the morning he will be on the mend.
I am looking forward to a Jack who is back to his normal bouncy self tomorrow.

------
Jack is feeling better this morning. I kept him home from school because he hadn't drank or eaten enough yesterday for me to send him to school today. He is still a bit weak but smilin' and happy to be feeling better! Thanks for your prayers.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Jack is such a brave little guy! No child should have such first hand knowledge of so many different IV sites!I pray that he feels better and can forego another trip to the hospital.
Karen Frazier
Anonymous said…
Oh, the stomach virus! Praying for a speedy recovery and that the rest of your household stays well.

Popular Posts