Walking With God

I am currently reading "Walking with God," by John Eldredge. I love reading memoirs, although I didn't realize that was what this book partially is. I was pleasantly surprised when it was filled with life stories from a year of John Eldredge's walk with God.
I am on page 27 so I am just starting out, but this book is excellent. Here is an exert from the book.
"...He assumed that God, being a loving God, was going to come through for him. In the sense of bless his choices. His ministry. Make his life good. He looked sort of dazed and hurt that it hadn't happened. He was trying to put a good face on it, but you could see that he had lost heart. This may be one of the most common, most unquestioned, and most naive assumptions people who believe in God share. We assume that because we believe in God, and because he is love, he's going to give us a happy life. A + B = C. You may not be so bold as to state this assumption out loud - you may not even think you hold this assumption - but notice your shock when things don't go well. Notice your feelings of abandonment and betrayal when life doesn't work out. Notice that often you feel as though God isn't really all that close or involved, feel that he isn't paying attention to your life........this man assumed the Christian life was basically about believing in God and doing good. Be a good person. That's good. That's a beginning. But it's just a beginning. It's sort of like saying that the way to have a good friendship is not to betray the other person. That will certainly help. You certainly want to have that going. But there's a whole lot more to friendship than simply not committing a betrayal, wouldn't you say?"


I could write out the whole chapter, but he goes onto talk about how important it is for us to seek God, pursue Him, learn His voice, follow Jesus. There is a big difference in believing in Jesus and being a follower of Jesus.

This passage hit me square in the face. When Jack was diagnosed with his brain tumor, I felt completely betrayed by God. I felt like he didn't hold up his end of the bargain. I might not have said it out loud then, but looking back that is what I felt. It took me a year to learn to love God for who He is and not what He does. I still get teary when I talk about how hard that time was for me. Yes of course hard on me because my son had a brain tumor, but oh so hard trying to figure out my relationship with the Lord. Bad things happen here on earth, can God fix them all and make them go away? Yes. Will he do that with all of our hardships and struggles? No. That place is called heaven, a place where there are no brian tumors, no cancer, no tears. God allows our faith to be tested while on earth, what we do with that is completely up to us.
The hardest thing for me to do during that first year was to praise God. I used my voice to praise Him in church when I sang, I certainly cried out to Him, I pursued His word in scripture many times a day, but 100% of my heart was not in it, I was not content in His sovereignty.
I will never forget on a Wednesday night at church, earlier that week I had made my peace, I had told God I will love You, I am yours no matter what happens to Jack...for the first time I really meant it. I meant it with all I was, and sang with my hands held high and tears pouring down my face because it was my sacrifice of praise. I would sacrifice my earthly desires for God's holy agenda and I would do it without murmuring discontent in my heart. I was Holy Sold Out. I felt such affirmation from God that night, I will never forget it. He was glad to have my heart back, and I was glad to give it.

Comments

MelanieJoy said…
Hi Tammy, I just came over from LPM (Beth Moore's)blog. I see now why God sent me over. I've only read this one post though. I found out two weeks ago that my mentor from my teenage years has cancer. It was such a shock! However, I couldn't imagine the shock you must have had learning your son had a brain tumor.
I love what you said about...
"I would sacrifice my earthly desires for God's holy agenda and I would do it without murmuring discontent in my heart."
There are some things....dreams that I had (being a wife and mom)that for some reason God has chosen for me not to have. I found myself the otherday realizing that the disappointment was building up and pulling me away from God. I like you with hands raised to heaven pouring out my "sacrifice of praise" desire to be in His Will....no matter the cost.
I so enjoyed my visit....know your family's in my prayers tonight.
Blessings~
Unknown said…
And we watched.

I watched you those years, Tammy, and wondered in awe how anybody could hold up under your circumstances. I saw Jesus in you and through you in ways I've never encountered.
Casey said…
Hi Tammy! When you are going through trials it can be hard in the beginning to look to God and say, "I am yours. Let your will be done whatever the cost." and mean it and have faith in Him. Then when you start to see His Light you look back and realize how hard or easy that trial was and the things you learn.
Being married for 2 1/2 years, my husband and I have had some trials. And for us being newlyweds it wasn't all that fun and it was hard, but at the end driving away from our house (we were trying to sell- we had 2 houses and paying close to 4K in mortgage, I was due in less then 2 months and was quitting my job & Eric couldn't afford everything on his income....) I oured out my heart and soul and cried the whole day to let these people buy our house. And surprisingly enough God answered my/our prayers. Still in a rut he answered ours again just this past week. Looking back, I wasn't as close to God as I was before and should be and having been that I am finding my God again. And it is such a relief and a joy to know that God loves me know matter and he will always be there, even if it takes a year or longer to answer my/our prayers. And He does answer our prayers, its just always the answer we are looking or hoping for.
I enjoy reading your Blog. Thanks for sharing with me/us with your family lives. Love you and you are all in our prayers. Take a deep breath, and let it all and just Smile because God loves you and cares for you and wants you to be happy in Him and with Him. For He is a gracious Lord.
Anonymous said…
Dear Tammy -

Thanks for the wonderful post and the quote. It lifts me up tonight as I read it.

I am SO happy that things are going so well with you and your family right now.

God bless you and keep you all close in his care.

Dee
Marie Moyers said…
thank you for this post. I cried all the way through it.

Popular Posts