February 14, 2016

Marriage on Lent Day #3



I am hoping you will join us on our 40 day journey of praying for the marriage's of those around us. My sweet friend told me once, "wedding problems are always a spiritual battle," and so with our prayers to the Father, they will be our weapons to fight with God for the hearts and unions of those around us. So get your list and join us in prayer.  The guest posts will bless those who are praying and also those of us who are married or know married people. I love that each post is very different. Get ready for some wonderful encouragement and powerful thoughts and prayers. Enjoy these blessings.

Much thanks to Lisa Carroll for her guest post here today. 


Message from the Heart
Busyness can destroy relationships.  Looking back at our 33 years of marriage, the most difficult time for Donnie and me was in the 7-10 year range.  We became so busy in youth work and the rearing of 4 young children that we began dwelling on the "urgent" and not the "important."  It took a jolt  for us - a move to Colorado - to restore our marriage and our family. (Colorado seemed SO far away at the time - this was before cell phones and easy internet access.)
As we pray today, let's pray for couples that are trapped.  Trapped in the snare of busyiness.  May G_d intervene in some way to rescue them (us).  Intervention comes in many forms, and some are not easy or pretty, but the jolt of intervention is powerful...and sometimes we all need a wakeup call.

 Prayer for Marriage's using Scripture i.e. The Psalms
Music is a way to "pray without ceasing."  If you are like me, I can get a tune stuck in my head for hours, so why not dwell on a Psalm or hymn?  One of my favorites is Psalm 51.  I know two versions of this great Psalm, which was a song of lament for David after committing adultery.  If you'd like, choose one and pray through it on behalf of your own marriage or that of another.  (When praying for someone specifically, I find it helpful to replace "me" with a name.)

One version is by Keith Green, and goes like this: 

Create in me a clean heart, oh God
And renew a right spirit within me
Create in me a clean heart, oh God
And renew a right spirit within me

Cast me not away from Thy presence, oh Lord
And take not Thy holy spirit from me
Restore unto me the joy of Thy salvation
And renew a right spirit within me

The other version is older, and was written by Keith Lancaster of Acappella.

Create in me a clean heart, oh God.
Let me be like you in all your ways.
Give me your strength; teach me your songs.
Shelter me in the shadow of your wings.

For we are your righteousness.
If we die to ourselves and live through your death.
We shall be born again to be blessed in your love.

0 comments: