February 15, 2016

Marriage on Lent Day #5


I am hoping you will join us on our 40 day journey of praying for the marriage's of those around us. My sweet friend told me once, "wedding problems are always a spiritual battle," and so with our prayers to the Father, they will be our weapons to fight with God for the hearts and unions of those around us. So get your list and join us in prayer.  The guest posts will bless those who are praying and also those of us who are married or know married people. I love that each post is very different. Get ready for some wonderful encouragement and powerful thoughts and prayers. Enjoy these blessings.


Thank you to Cathy Messecar for her guest post today.


LOVE SHINE
By Cathy Messecar

Scripture
So Jacob served seven years to get Rachel, but they seemed like only a few days to him because of his love for her.
Genesis 29:20


Message from the Heart
    When I least expect the textbook on life opens, and an acquaintance does something that knocks the wind out of one of my bad habits. I recently had the pleasure of learning a better way of communicating with my husband because of such an occurrence.
     Through our business, we met a couple who speaks more kindly to each other than any married couple we have met. Their names are Buck and Jan Graham. When they interact and address each other by pet names, the tone of their speech is filled with admiration. My husband and I love to hear either of them call the other “Precious."
     Recently in our home my husband asked me, "What's that noise?" The ringer on our business phone was turned off, and I heard the answering machine recording a message. He’d heard the sound many times before, but our hearing isn’t what it used to be. The volume is up on everything, and yet we are hearing less.
     My reply, "It's the answering machine," was less than cordial. Immediately, I regretted the tone of “you-should-know-what-that-sound-is.”
     I thought about married couples falling into language ruts, especially of replying with a grumble or flippant answer to mates. Climbing out of the bad-habit trench and getting back on the grassy terrain of pleasant words and nuances can often be difficult.
      Later I apologized to David and said, "I'd like to be more like the Grahams. They're always so nice to each other." My intentions were good, but before long I once again gave David an answer with an attitude. He looked at me with a smile and said, "Thank you, Precious." Laughter rippled up my throat and erupted in a full blown smile.
     Since that moment when either of our words to each other is curt, one of us will address the other during our conversation with the name "Precious." It's a gentle reminder of the love pact we made long ago to honor each other.
     Jesus encouraged his followers to allow his love to shine through the windows of their everyday lives: "You are the light of the world . . . Let your light shine before men, that they may see your good deeds and praise your Father in heaven"(Matthew 6: 14-16).
     Thank you Buck and Jan, for letting the brilliance of your love shine.


Prayer for Marriages
Father, thank you for designing marriage. Will you garden in my heart today? Loosen my root bound self-centeredness. Please mist the parched patches of indifference. For my friends, bring lasting growth to newlyweds and to longtime married lovers. In the name of the Bridegroom. Amen.

An excerpt from The Stained Glass Pickup: Glimpses of God’s Uncommon Wisdom www.leafwoodpublishers.com/ by Cathy Messecar, author and speaker, married for 45 years. www.cathymessecar.com

2 comments:

Amber Brantly said...

Thank you, Tammy, for hosting this series!!

Cathy Messecar said...

Tammy, thank you for hosting this post today. The forty posts will bless so many. The prayers said during the forty days will bless well into the future.