February 19, 2016

Marriage on Lent Day #8



Thanks to Teri Boone for her guest post today.


Message from the Heart 
As I reflect on my marriage of 28 years, there are many years of happiness and many years I would rather sweep under the rug and never look at again.  Marriage is hard work.  PERIOD.    I received some advice from my mother-in-law many years ago and it was something like this.  “If you hang on for the ride, it does get better and it does get easier”.  I can honestly say, it does get better and it does get easier.  I think we too often forget, God also commands it.  Matthew 19:9, “And I say to you: whoever divorces his wife, except for sexual immorality, and marries another, commits adultery”.

My grandparents were married for 71 years.  I’ve never seen two people love each other more but to hear about their struggles and what they had to endure for 71 years together, makes me so proud.  I’m proud of the legacy they have left our family.  When you think about it, marriage wasn’t easier 71 years ago, they just knew what God commanded them and they believed it.  They lived it.

No marriage is perfect.  No man or woman is perfect.  There will be arguments, disagreements, tension, stress, worry, anger, money problems and the list can go on and on.  God can help your marriage if you allow him.  Sometimes we have to give in and realize we can’t fix our problems by ourselves.  We have to swallow our pride and ask for help.  It’s hard.  I know – because I’ve been there.  But, it helped my marriage and it helped us move forward.

I encourage you not to give up so easily.  Seek help.  It’s so worth it.  Not only will you please God but you will be amazed at how much happier you can be as a couple.  WE have big shoes to fill  - 71 years is a long time!  I believe God will continue to bless my marriage and continue to bless our family through our marriage. 

Mark 10:9, “Therefore what God has joined together, let no man separate”.

0 comments: