March 06, 2016

Marriage on Lent Day #16


I am hoping you will join us on our 40 day journey of praying for the marriage's of those around us. My sweet friend told me once, "wedding problems are always a spiritual battle," with our prayers to the Father, they will be our weapons to fight with God for the hearts and unions of those around us. So get your list and join us in prayer.  The guest posts will bless those who are praying and also those of us who are married or know married people. I love that each post is very different. Get ready for some wonderful encouragement and powerful thoughts and prayers. Enjoy these blessings.

Thank you to Cathy Messecar for her post today.

 A TOAST TO ROBUST MARRIAGES
By Cathy Messecar

Isaac brought her into the tent of his mother Sarah, and he married Rebekah. So she became his wife, and he loved her; and Isaac was comforted after his mother's death.  Genesis 24:67

 Thought from the Heart
     "Going to the chapel and we're gonna get married . . . going to the chapel of love." The lyricist added words about ringing bells, sun shining and everlasting love.
     If only married life was always as perfect as sentimental love songs. One of the men in my home congregation quotes W. C. Fields and says with a twinkle in his eye, "There are three kinds of rings in a marriage: the engagement ring, the wedding ring and the suffering."
      When David and I planned to marry, we went to talk with my parents. Jittery about the parental conference, we walked into my family’s den with me cowering behind David’s tall frame.
     We honestly thought our news would surprise my parents, but they had noticed our growing affection. Mother was ironing, and Daddy was talking to her. When they saw our serious countenances, they gave us their full attention and later their permission to marry. Within fourteen months, my preacher-dad presided at our wedding ceremony.
     I don't recall many of the words Daddy said on our wedding day because tulle, lilies, trousseau, and groom were on my mind, but I do recall with clarity what Dad told us the night we asked permission to get married.
With loving concern he said, "When two Christians marry, later if there is serious trouble between them, one or both of them have stopped being Christ-like." For our marriage, Dad’s wise words and Jesus’ example have been our ideal.
     Jesus was able to love with all his heart because of his communion with God and the Holy Spirit. He then took strength from their relationship and sincerely served others. If only everyone could be wed to God before taking marriage vows.
     At the wedding feast in Cana, Jesus’ mother noticed the host, about to be embarrassed by a shortage of wine. She alerted Jesus to the situation and then told the house servants, "Do whatever he tells you." His presence at that wedding turned plain water into a wine rich miracle.
     If I always followed Mary's directive to the servants—listening to Jesus and doing whatever he tells me—my marriage would be even better. We invited Jesus to be Master of Ceremonies on our wedding day, and now he’s with us through hospitalizations and good cholesterol reports, overdrawn notices and abundant bank accounts, in sickness and in health, for richer, for poorer, until death do us part.  

Prayer for Marriages
Father, I come in the name of the single, devoted Lord. Even after many years of marriage, I find myself at times watering down your commands. Place on my heart the desire to do whatever Jesus tells me. Amen.

An excerpt from The Stained Glass Pickup: Glimpses of God’s Uncommon Wisdom (Leafwood Publishers)by Cathy Messecar, author and speaker, married for 45 years. www.cathymessecar.com

0 comments: