March 06, 2016

Marriage on Lent Day #20


Prayer from the Heart
Jana wrote this prayer with tears streaming down her cheeks. Her heart flows over with words of pleading for her friend's marriage to God. I am thankful she shared them with us today.

Lord,

I ask that you bring clarity to these dear friends as they move through the steps of determining the future of the life of their family.
I ask that you give words of wisdom to the counselors they have employed to help them as they walk this difficult path.
I ask that you open both of their hearts to the possibility of loving one another again in a way that would fill them individually with the joy and peace of being truly treasured by another person.
I ask that the sacrifice of Christ and His mercy on us wash over them so overwhelmingly that they cannot help but live sacrificially and mercifully with each other.
I ask that any lack of desire to return to the full commitment of marriage vows made long ago be transformed into a surprising rekindling of hope for the future together inside the promises they once longed to keep.
I ask that choosing the wholeness of a family be made a passion in their hearts.
I ask that the spirit of Christ rush into their home filling the entire family with an awareness of the needs of the others around them in that home and that a desire to meet those needs be inexplicably present.
I ask that any forgiveness needing to be given will flow forth freely.
I ask that any forgiveness needing to be received be taken in and in its presence, a new hope for the joy of life together be realized.
I ask that the spirits of the children in this home be protected as they enter into this time of crisis, that they not be shaken in a way that will be irreparable in the future for their relationships with others and with God.

I know that these requests are enormous and that I am choosing to ask for things that would be nothing short of miraculous. I also know that these things won't come quickly. I also know that these things are not yet desired by the ones I offer this prayer up for.  But I am prepared to keep asking---even if it be for years.
Bless each in this family as they wait and long for the day where the world will be set right by the ultimate coming of your kingdom. We live in a broken time and place and I ask that you come quickly to make all things new.

Amen

Scripture
Therefore if you have any encouragement from being united with Christ, if any comfort from his love, if any common sharing in the Spirit, if any tenderness and compassion, then make my joy complete by being like-minded, having the same love, being one in spirit and of one mind. Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit. Rather, in humility value others above yourselves, not looking to your own interests but each of you to the interests of the others.
Philipians 2:1-4

A Favorite Quote
"A good marriage is one in which each spouse thinks he or she got the better deal."
Help Thanks Wow by Anne Lamott.

0 comments: