March 06, 2016

Marriage on Lent Day #22


Many thanks to Jennifer Kahla for today's post.

Scripture
Ecclesiastes 4:12
12 Though one may be overpowered,
two can defend themselves.
A cord of three strands is not quickly broken.

Message from the Heart
Sometimes the things that draw us to our spouse are also the things that make us crazy as time goes on. But I am reminded that God created us, both man and woman, with all of the uniqueness that comes with those 2 basic descriptions. We are meant to complement each other and by doing so we make a stronger unit than if we were simply on our own or simply with someone who thought just like us. During times of trials, friends have asked Steven and me how we were handling things. It has consistently amazed me that when I am falling apart, he isn't and yet when he has those rare moments, I am the stronger one. We are able to hold each other up because we seem to take turns losing it. To me it is just another way that God blesses me, both individually as well as in our marriage. And like the verse says, when you add in the 3rd strand, God, it is even stronger still.

Prayer for Marriages
“Father, Thank you for making us different. I praise you for how wonderfully we each are made. Lord, help me to appreciate the differences in my spouse and use me to strengthen our relationship. I lift up these marriages to you and ask you bless them in their uniqueness as individuals but more importantly as a unit. Draw us into a cord that will withstand the challenges we will face in this life.”

0 comments: