March 06, 2016

Marriage on Lent Day #24

Please join us in praying for the marriages of those around us.
Thank you to Mike Ricker for today's post.


I am no theologian, nor am I a Bible scholar. I’m certainly not a marriage counselor, I’m not even qualified to write a column for ‘Marriage on Lent’. But by Tammy’s invitation, and prodding, here goes…….

Had Tammy requested one of her friends address what ‘not’ to do in a marriage, I would have been the #1 guy. 180 degrees opposite of what folks like Max, Beth or Zig would have promoted. Looking back, I always put God 2nd, sometimes 3rd in my life. I was there for my family at all times, I stayed faithful to my wife, I attended all of the kid’s activities. I had them in church every time the door was opened. Or maybe I should say I drove them to church. But that’s enough of the self-deprecating history lesson.


Men, we’re called to be spiritual leaders of our families. There’s plenty of scriptural basis for that. Strong men, strong fathers translate into strong families. I don’t say that to mean that we should rule over our families. A team is much stronger than an individual. A strong team is more diversified, more adapted to handle challenges and threats. And if a wife wasn’t intended to stand by a husband’s side, then Proverbs 31 would have been a big waste of papyrus, wouldn’t it?

When I count my blessings, #2 on the list is a wife that was willing to lead a family and patiently wait on her husband to join her. My #1 blessing? That would be a graceful God that was there by my wife’s side, and also waited patiently for me to join her. Where I worship, I see young, Godly men leading our church and their families. I applaud them. But chances are good that there are good men that aren’t taking an active role in leading their families, that aren’t taking advantage of every beautiful opportunity that God has laid out before them. I count myself among the blessed, I was shown the way before it was too late. 

So guys, if you’re in that 2nd category? Man up! Experience what our Lord has laid out before you. It’s really not that difficult. I am a police officer, a traffic cop. Most everything I do in my line of work is derived from an S.O.P., and penal code or a transportation regulatory guide. When I began my walk with the Lord, I needed a guide. I found my guide in the Book of James. It’s not a big book in comparison to other books of the Bible, just five chapters. But in those five chapters, you’ll find practical, useful guidance for everyday living. 

Throughout the Bible we learn how to experience the fullness of life that God has promised us, taste those things! Pray out loud, while holding her hand. Study the word, together. Give, and be amazed at how God keeps his promise. Those are just three things you can do, there are countless others. Strengthen your walk, and prepare to receive His promised blessings!

Scripture – James 1: 16-18  So, my very dear friends, don’t get thrown off course. Every desirable and beneficial gift comes out of heaven. The gifts are rivers of light cascading down from the Father of Light. There is nothing deceitful in God, nothing two-faced, nothing fickle. He brought us to life using the true Word, showing us off as the crown of all his creatures.

Prayer – Father God, thank you for the daily opportunity to grow closer to you and to strengthen ourselves through your Word. And Lord, thank you for 2nd chances. You are a patient God and we thank you for waiting on us. Lord, we also thank you for the opportunity to share our faith with our brothers and sisters, and in turn to learn from them.

Lord be with us every day. Be with us as we grow our families. Be with us as we seek wisdom through your Word. Lord we thank you for your son Jesus Christ who walked this Earth and lived a life as an example for all of us to follow.

In His holy name we pray this prayer, Amen.

0 comments: