March 06, 2016

Marriage on Lent Day #26



Thank you to Donna Ware for sharing her thoughts with us today. 
My sister gave my niece some great advice on her wedding day.  She told her, “some days you will look at your husband and think you are the most blessed woman in the world and there will be other days when you feel you have ruined your life.  Just remember marriage is a commitment to love even when you don’t feel like it.”
Too often we go into marriage with starry eyes and imagine a perfect life with a perfect mate.  However, it won’t be long before we realize that are mate is not perfect and guess what, neither are we!   No human can meet our expectations all the time.  Marriage is a commitment that when you don’t feel loving, you still act loving.  Even when you want something different, you do what is best for your husband/wife.  Marriage is work and sometimes you have to do as Paul Faulkner once said, “act yourself into a better way of feeling.”

Prayer
Father, forgive me when I have been selfish towards my husband/wife.  Help me to see the best in all things and to act loving even when I may not feel like it.  Thank you for your example of committed love through your son Jesus. 

Scripture
I Corinthians 13:5-7  From the Message
“Love never gives up.  Love cares more for others than for self.  Love doesn’t fly off the handle, doesn’t keep score of the sins of others.”

0 comments: