Jack is Feeling Great!

Well we have gone 2 weeks with no chemo, only blood draws on Thursdays, and Jack is feeling great. The droop in his eyelid has gone, and it seems like he is a little stronger. We start back on the chemo this Thursday and we will have 11 weeks before our next 2 week break. The protocol is a bit different this time, not as strong.
His counts were at 1800 ANC on Thursday, so his immune system is doing well. One of the mom's of the kids in his class asked me if Jack has been sick with a cold yet, and I was so glad to say that he had not been. His teachers at school do a great job of keeping the kids hands clean, with mandatory handwashing through the day 2 or 3 times, I think that makes a huge difference.
Jack and Derek are taking thai-kwon-do at church and they love it! For Jack it is not only fun, but a mega therapy session, with all sorts of benefits that will help him. I feel very comfortable with Jack there because his instructor is also a doctor. So he can handle anything that might come up. Thank you God for that blessing in my boys lives.
I always love the holidays. I am sure this holiday season will bring many memories. Most people do not like the stores dressing up for the holiday season so early. I love all the colors and lights. I feel no more pressure to shop earlier than I normally do, I just love the Reason for the season and I am ready to break out the eggnog and hot chocolate for special family times.
The final decision for halloween costumes are: Derek - a ninja swordsman, Jack - Darth Vader, Sophie- Belle the princess from Beauty and the beast. As it is only Saturday there could still be fluctuation, but only 2 more days, and Jack has been counting down the days for over a week now, he is just about ready to explode with excitement to go trunk-or-treating up at church.
One of Jack's many personality traits is that he really is not a home body. He likes to go and do, all the time. He has been this way since I could understand his word for "go" at about 1 year old. Tuesday we got back from therapy after school and Jack said I don't want to go home, I want to go to a movie. After homework Rob and I took Jack and Derek to see Dreamer at the movies, with Kurt Russell, Dakota Fanning.... Sophie wanted to spend the evening with her grandma, so she was absent in the movie fest. The boys loved it, as did Rob and I. I highly recommend it, it was a great family movie, and the little girl worked very hard for her dream to come true. Fun night.
God has blessed us with awesome friends, family and a faith that holds on to a hope of eternal fun nights. When my kids and I talk about heaven we think of the most fun things we could do in heaven. Ofcourse we have no idea what heaven will be, but bringing the greatness down to a level that my children or I could even begin to grasp requires us to humanize it a bit. The event that Jack and Sophie talk about alot is cloud-hopping, could be considered a bit of an extreme sport here on earth but in heaven it is quite safe I bet. Derek is all about football right now and so he wants to play football in heaven. What do I want to do in heaven? I think that watching my kids cloud hop and play football will be fun, but I see myself sitting around Jesus and looking into His face, listening to His words, hearing His stories, He will be revealing mysteries that I never could have comprehended, and I will never want to look away. In front of me will be Exalted, Mericiful, Counselor, Yawheh, Alpha and the Omega, all my longing will be fulfilled in one moment a very long moment of eternity. I told my kids that and they just looked at me and thought that the cloud hopping and football seemed much more up there alley, and I say to them, just you wait until you get there and maybe Jesus will be the quarterback, and the most expert cloud hopper, but whatever you do Jesus will be right there in the center of it all. Thank you Jesus for being our Everything.

Comments

Anonymous said…
That's one of the best descriptions of heaven I have ever heard! Jesus, right there in the center of it all. What a glorious day!
Glad to hear Jack is feeling great.
I'm with you -- bring on the holidays!!

Sharon Winkler

Popular Posts