Long day, not bad, but verrrrrrry long.

I am exhausted! (and I am not even the one having chemo drugs pumped into my veins) We had a 10am appointment with Dr. Bowman, Jack's oncologist from Cook's who oversees Jack's chemo. The waiting room was full of big hairy dogs when we first walked in. Dogs everywhere, a big collie, big irish setter, big pit bull terrier, and big lab. The common denominator between these four dogs?.....you guessed it..big. They were delightful, fun, playful, not too playful, sweet with the kids, and had owners that were just as delightful. We were in a space about the size of a small bedroom, maybe 10x10, we were definately bonding with the pet therapy dogs, oh, you were probably wondering why they were there, pet therapy...we were bonding with the dogs as we were sharing a very small space, so I am glad that we enjoyed it, if we didn't we might have felt really squished. Anyway, 2 1/2 hours later we were leaving the doctors office. Everything was running behind.
Jack and I went to lunch, his choice, China Star. You might think that it is because they have been voted best chinese food restaurant for many of the previous years, but it is really because Jack thinks they have the best mini-corndogs in Abilene. So we had a wonderful lunch, he has lost nearly 2 pounds as of last week so eating is a good thing for him, and then I took him by the bakery to see Rob. Jack picked out a nice selection of cookies which he ate within 2 minutes of leaving the bakery, and we got to say hi to Rob to boot!
After making a quick stop home to load up ye old dvd player and a selection of movies...scooby 2, scooby loch ness, veggie tales and star wars, we headed to Jack's chemo appt. We arrived on the nose at 2:30, but no nurse Sara yet. The office which was so behind this morning is staffed with the same nurse who does Jack's chemo at Dr. Hirsch's office, so about an hour after we arrived Jack was hooked up to the medicine. Nurse Sara is very efficient, we could not hope for anyone better, but some days are just so crammed full that you can't possibly get everything done on schedule. At the time we saw her arrive after 3pm she had not even sat down for lunch yet. One thing that I appreciate about Nurse Sara, is that no matter how busy, overbooked, or outright impossible her days are, she is always smiling, and she never takes it out on those around her. She is awesome.
Jack and I enjoyed spending time with Derek and his mom today again. The boys watched scooby and us mom's traded recipes and talked. Slowly one by one, people in the clinic left, the sun started to set, the lights were turned off in the rest of the building, and Jack and I were staring at his iv bag, wishing the drips to drip faster. No wishing helps that, I told Sara that a watched iv bag never empties, she said, just like a watched pot never boils. So I tried not to look, keeping my eyes focused on my current book, Stephen King On Writing. This is the first Stephen King book I have ever read, probably wont read another, as I don't like scary stuff. But this is part personal memoir, and part good info to use in writing, almost like a workbook, but with little homework. Finally the last drip dropped, I looked at the clock and it was 6:35pm.
Off to the races to meet Rob and Derek at the Thai Kwon Do class, I drop Jack with Rob to get him ready, and pick up Sophie for a mother/daughter dinner with some of her good friends from her kindergarten class last year. I arrived home at 8:30, sat and decompressed with Rob over a long day, and now telling you. I have yet to understand why 6 1/2 hours in doctors offices can wipe me out, but I am ready to climb into bed and close my eyes.
I have saved the best news for last, Jack's counts were 3100, yes 3100! Very good indeed!
Sweet dreams.
Tammy

Comments

Anonymous said…
Sometimes sitting, especially in the doctor's office or hospital, is hard and draining work. Great news about Jack's counts. The members at the church my dad preaches at have been so excited about his progress. They continually lift him up as we do. We'll pray for a little extra holiday weight! Have a good day!!!!
M.C.
Sarah said…
You definitely need my iron pills -- I never would have made a day like that!
Anonymous said…
That is wonderful news about Jack your hard work is paying off with keeping him healthy. Waiting is very stressful. I love you, give everyone big hugs and kisses for us.

Love,
Becky and family
Anonymous said…
Yes, Tammy, sitting in a Dr.s office or sitting in a hospital room with a loved one is most draining, both physically and emotionally. Add to that the rest of your busy day, and the thoughts and concerns about Jack. You should have been tired at the end of that day. Praying that God will continue to sustain you and your family, and continue to heal Jack. All of this beyond our wildest imagination. God can and will do that. That was great news about Jack's counts this past week!
Love you-
Lois

Popular Posts