Jack Has Issues

Jack had chemo today. His ANC counts were great, 2500. He had last week off from chemo so that gave his body some time to build its immunities back up. Thanks to all the goodies and food around last week, he had gained about 2 lbs over the last 2 weeks. I am always glad to see when the scale moves up for Jack. He has been eating well, and it might help that I have fed the kids bacon every morning this week as part of their breakfast.
We have a week off from chemo now, Jack will have a blood draw next week. Then back to chemo the week after. We go to Dallas on January 9th for Jack's next MRI. Please keep him in your prayers.
Jack is already counting down the days until Christmas break. The kids are out of school on December 16 and go back January 3rd.
The kids are very excited about Christmas. This is the first year that I have wrapped the gifts and put them under the tree before Christmas eve. Santa's gifts will ofcourse arrive Christmas eve, but mom and dad's will be there the whole month as they are bought and wrapped. I love not having to remember where I have hidden the gifts in order to wrap them on Christmas eve. At first the kids said they didn't like that idea, Derek said it would be torture looking at all the presents all month and not being able to open them. It seems like they have barely even given them a second thought once they shook them all the first day. I love this season, and all the excitement that leads up to it. I was just thinking today about Jesus being born and what an amazing gift that was given to mankind. We do the 3 present rule at Christmas, Jesus got 3 gifts, so we give 3 gifts to the kids each. It helps me keep my spending under control and the kids seem to really appreciate the gifts they receive. One of my good friends Sarah does the same thing with her kids. I copied her blog (Cleft of the Rock, which is on the side bar) called Making a List and have posted it below. It made me laugh. Her son Riley verbally gifted, he is 8 yrs. old.
_____________________________________________________
Making a list. . .
Tomorrow is December first, Thanksgiving is over, so of course the kids have started on their Christmas lists. (I have told them in the past that any changes and/or additions to the list after December 1 are not guaranteed to make it to Santa's mailbox! Santa REALLY hates last-minute shopping!) A few nights ago the kids were working on their lists.

They have decided to go with Sears' holiday slogan: "Dream Big". They made 2 lists: a "wish list" (which they are well aware probably won't happen) and what Dr. Phil would call a "get-real" list.

Ashley's wish list:
computer
swimming pool (I'll back her up on asking for this!)
baby brother

Riley's wish list:
TV for my room (they are aware that I believe that brain cells can be sucked out by watching TV in the living room just as well as in their own bedroom)
peace in all the world
more pumpkin pie (how sad is that! :-)

When I noticed that their "get-real" list was going on and on and on, I reminded them, "You're only going to get 3 gifts, you know."

Ashley was apalled and outraged, "WHAT?!?! Only _3_ gifts, that's not fair!!"

"Jesus only got 3 for Christmas -- do you think you deserve any better than Jesus?"

Hating my logic, she continued, "No, but that's not fair! Just 3?"

"Are you telling me you're any better than Jesus?"

Riley hasn't looked up from his list and continues to scribble away while he joins the conversation: "I'll take the gold, Mom."
___________________________________________________

Riley has a truck load of one liners that have made me laugh, and he comes up with them on the spot.
Jack picked out a new t-shirt over the weekend, it says "I Have Issues", he loves it, and it makes me laugh to see him wear it. We love Jack and all his issues. Keep on prayin' for those issues.
Tammy

Comments

Unknown said…
Wouldn't we ALL take the gold?!
Thank goodness for a break from chemo!
You're GOOD to have presents under the tree already. We don't even have a TREE yet!
Anonymous said…
Tammy,
Hooray for those counts (and the scales) being up!!! It's also nice to hear you get a break during the holidays from the weekly routine. Sounds like you all have a happy holiday season in the making.

Popular Posts