Car Driving Dreams

Today's chemo went well. Jack's ANC counts were at 2300 which is great, much better than they have been lately. Today at chemo there were quite a few other chemo kids there. Nurse Sara asked the kids who wanted to make a trip to the snack bar in the hospital. All the kids thought that it would be good to stretch out their legs a bit, so everyone unattached from the power outlets, and wrapped the cords around the poles with the chemo bags which were continuing to drip on battery power.
Jack, Derek, Grace and all us moms, one dad, and a couple of nurses made our way through the oncology offices, through the day surgery area, through the tunnell and into the lobby at Hendrick. The snack area in the lobby is one of those "We serve Starbuck's coffee kiosk's" along with a snack bar of decadent chocolates and Mrs. Fields cookies, and a popcorn machine. Everybody made their selections, then we sat down for about 5 minutes in the lobby and let the kids eat their snacks. It was nice to have a change of scenery. Then we trapsed our way back to the chemo chairs for the rest of the chemo.
It was like a parade of kids and poles. We should have decorated the poles and gone for a parade with a theme, 4th of July is coming up, that might be fun.
Jack had a funny dream 2 nights ago, in his dream we were walking along a hiking path into the forest. He said that I went on the right path and he went on the wrong path and we got separated. He said that he found our van and drove around the city looking for me, he said he drove the van perfectly, and didn't even get into an accident. He did find me and that was a happy ending. When he told Rob about his dream, Rob pointed out that if Jack was on the path where the van was it seemed to him that Jack was on the right path and I was on the wrong one. Jack was pretty sure that was not how the dream went. He loved telling me about driving the van around town. I asked him if he wanted to drive us to church, and he thought it through, and said, "I will give it a try, I think I could do it." It was cute how he really gave it some thought and decided that he was up to the challenge. Well I didn't let him drive us to church, but I am sure that when he is turning 16 yrs. old and it is legal for him to drive us to church he will be up to the task. Isn't it funny when we dream about something it seems so real.
When I was a little girl, I was afraid to swim, I was afraid of the water. This story was told to me by my dad. I must have been very little, like 4 or 5 years old because I can remember swimming like a fish in my early elementary years. My dad and mom had tried to help me feel comfortable in the water, and I was just plain afraid. One night I had a dream that I jumped right into the water and swam across the pool just as if I had already mastered the task. That morning I woke up and went in and told my dad about my dream, I told him that I thought I could swim and I wouldn't be afraid anymore. He took me to a pool and I did just what I did in my dream, I jumped in and swam across the pool and back. I was sure that I could do it and I did. My dad was a lifelong salesman and he used that story when he was training new salesmen and women. He loved telling me that story. My dad passed away 6 years ago, he had a gift to tell stories and jokes. He could make a room full of people smile with his stories.
I better sign off because as I write this Sophie is sitting on my bed listening to an infomercial on the Oreck Air Purifier, and she is trying to convince me that her allergies could be healed if I would only buy her an Oreck.

Comments

Sandgroper said…
I am sure Jack's dream will come true. Good luck and all the best to your family. I shall pray for his complete recovery.
Sarah said…
You KNOW I have crazy dreams and I do love the story of you swimming after you dreamed you could. I'm pretty sure that's how I learned to ride a 2-wheel bike! However, I don't plan on all of my dreams coming true -- dreamed last week I was pregnant. hmmmmmm. . .
Anonymous said…
I really like Nurse Sara and I think a parade at the hospital would lift a lot of spirits!
Anonymous said…
I think you inherited your father's gift of telling stories! It was so nice to cross paths with you today at Hendrick. You are an inspiration.

Love,
Carole
Anonymous said…
What a wonderful nurse! Sounds like a true blessing from God. My family continues to pray for Jack and we are thankful for the good counts today.

Popular Posts