Yellow Belt Day


A most glorious Yellow Belt Day!! Derek and Jack tested for their yellow belts along with the rest of their class on Saturday morning. It was an awesome morning. I was amazed at how much all the boys and 1 awesome girl had learned. The class did so great and it was a special time for each of them. I am so glad that Derek and Jack (and maybe Sophie in a couple of weeks) have the opportunity to learn Tae Kwon Do from Mr. Bulls and Ms. Broadhearst. They are great and commpassionate instructors. Thanks to Mr. Terrell for all he does too!
There are moments in a parents life when their heart swells to capacity, recitals, belt tests, seeing your child reach out to another child who needs help, sometimes just a simple thank you can make your heart feel like it might just burst, like there is no way you could ever feel more satisfied than just looking at your child, hugging them, or being a part of the journey God has set before them. This was one of those days for me. I felt like crying the whole time watching Derek, so big and strong doing his best, and Jack, living in the midst of chemo, a little weaker than most or all of the kids, not as light on his feet, and wobbly here and there, but doing the very best he could with a smile on his face. When Mr. Bulls had to help him make a turn correctly, he just accepted the gentle nudge on his shoulder with gratitude and a smile, never looking dejected or feeling like his pride was injured, just glad to be there, and doing the best he could.
I pray for a spirit for myself as a child of God who is wobbly and not always able or willing to make the turns where I should, to accept that nudge, without my pride getting in the way, without feeling dejected but just glad to be on the journey. God made me who I am and he knew my footsteps through my life, he knew my wobbles before I did, but he is just as thrilled to nudge my heart and help me get back on track, or raise me to an expectation he has laid before me, as Mr. Bulls was to help Jack get back on track. Gods heart is bursting for me to just be engaged in the journey of maturing in Him, wobbly legs and all.
Thank you God for the moments that my heart feels like it is overflowing with joy, please help me savor each moment, store those days like treasures in my heart.

Comments

Tanis said…
Glad to see the yellow belts. Training in Tae Kwon Do can change one's life, it did mine. Most people think when you are in training you are just learning how to hurt people, but it's much more than that, it's what got me to wanting to help people and get into the law enforcement field. Once agian good work on the belts, I know they don't come easy....
Anonymous said…
Derek & Jack,

Mr. Alexey Park, the President of the Kyrgyzstan Tae Kwon Do Association, asked me to congratulate you both.

Way to go guys!!

Love,

Grandpa

Popular Posts