Have you ever been thankful for Scooby Doo?

Long day, got home from chemo at about 5:30 today. Once Jack and I get to the Dr.'s office, we get sent to the back where the chemo is given. At that time Nurse Sara hooks Jack's port up to the line and then she draws his blood samples. Somewhere in that process or right after the order for the chemo drugs are given to the pharmacy at the office. Today they must have been busy because it took over an hour to get Jack's chemo drugs. So Jack started on his chemo at about 2:15 so we left after 5pm.
Which brings me to my thought for the day, have you ever been thankful for Scooby Doo? Jack loves Scooby Doo and all of his cohorts. He especially loves it when Scooby and Shaggy make rude noises (eeek). I am so glad that even though we are sitting in a doctors office for hours on end that Jack is watching Scooby on DVD, and playing Scooby on his gameboy. He is doing a double Scooby maneuver. I am glad that Jack passes time with his loveable dog friend, but mostly I am thankful to see him laugh. When he laughs out loud, it comes from the belly. He has a great laugh, and he laughs alot when Scooby is involved. Some things I will never take for granted again, and one is Jack's laugh, it warms my heart to see him cracking up.
Sometimes when we need cheering up we put on the Three Stooges and watch Jack. I don't even bother watching the movie because I would miss watching Jack.
Speaking of Jack he is dressed up in some fine duds for church tonight. He has a dress vest and dress pants that don't match, a red t-shirt with a pocket under the vest, and I am sure he will be wearing either his cowboy boots or maybe white sneakers. Either way it will be an outfit which no one has seen before. I can always count on Jack to make me smile. I love his wild outfits. He just told Rob, "I am going to look good tonight for church."
When we saw the opthamologist Saturday he prescribed dialating drops for Jack. The eye that turned in from the tumor, which was surgically fixed a couple of weeks ago, is weaker than the eye that stayed straight. So every morning I put a drop in Jack's strong eye which will blur it, actually it dialates it, and will make his other eye work harder. I think we will be doing this for a couple of months. So Jack will have his cool shades with him most of the time, to protect that dialated eye from the bright Texas sunlight. He didn't want to take them to school today, so he left them behind. When we got to his school I asked him where his sunglasses were, and he said I didn't want them. When I explained that he couldn't go to recess without sunglasses, he asked if he could borrow mine. So Jack wore my sunglasses today at school. I am sure that people who don't know what is up with him think he is crazy wearing his mother's sunglasses, but that was the price he was willing to pay to play.
Jack's counts are staying high which means he is staying healthy, thank you Jesus, thank you for shining your mercy on us today.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Jack's outfit at church tonight made me smile too!!! I loved hearing your explanation of the whole thing. You guys are so amazing to have the kind of day you had today and then still make it to church looking as fresh as ever. Your whole family is an inspiration to me.
Sarah said…
The kids said Jack was looking sharp at church -- I never saw him, he was running around too much! And I, like Shellie, appreciate your effort to come encourage all of us after a long day.
Unknown said…
I, too, appreciate the explanation of Jack's outfit. I saw him and just smiled--- I knew there was a story behind that outfit and wondered what it was! (The tie really completed the ensemble!)It made him happy and that is what matters! I am glad Scooby makes him happy, too. I wish I could hear one of those belly-laughs... those are the best!

I am glad the treatment went well and hope he continues to feel good. It is such a blessing to see you all together at church! We will continue praying!!
Anonymous said…
You are just the MOST awesome family. Thank you for sharing with us and letting us see how you are coping. You are lifted multiple times a day in prayer from this household and that of many of our friends who have no clue who you are except from this blog. And you are ministering to each and every one of them, just as you are to us. Praise God for His love. ;>) Foy and MS
Anonymous said…
I love Scooby Doo too!!! Thank you for being such an inspiration to us everyday! I never saw Jack's outfit but I'm sure he was the sharpest kid on the block! Keep doing what you're doing! We pray throughout the day for your sweet family! Love, The Boone's
Anonymous said…
Tammy, I read your blogs daily. They are my best reminder of God's power and how important it us not to sweat the small stuff. You are also such an example of faith. Bless you for teaching me during your tough times. We are in constant prayer for your sweet Jack and your precious family.

Popular Posts