The Chemo Kid

Updates on Jack
One chemo down....Jack did great today. Besides some time delays to get insurance stuff worked through, the first chemotherapy went off without a hitch. On our way to chemo Jack said, "I wish I wasn't the chemo kid, it is so boring." As far as Jack is concerned boredom outweighs most other bad things he has to go through. I had 4 bags of stuff to carry in to the chemo trip today, filled with activities for Jack to do, a couple of new things I had bought for him from the clearance shelf at Walgreens yesterday, a portable dvd player with 4 movies to watch, and he is already bored just on the drive there. It looked like we were moving in. Filled out the paperwork, then they sent us back. I had put on the emla cream over the port an hour and half before, so the stick in his port only hurt a little. They hooked him up to the iv line and took his blood for his counts. 2 hours later the nurse came back and said that they were having a hard time getting insurance to work out, because they were not an authorized provider. Well, if only someone would have told me 2 hours ago, I could have given the name of our case manager, who can make anything work out it seems. I gave them her number, they decided it would take a couple of days to get approved so they sent us over to Hendrick Hospital to the pediatric wing, who was an authorized provider, and the nurse followed us over there, signed more papers, then waited for the medicine to be sent up. At about 4:30 we started chemo. We finished at about 7:00p.m. and came home. Jack did well, although ofcourse slightly bored at times. (The office called the case manager and within 15 minutes everything was approved and worked out, so they said we could come back and get the chemo there, but we had already dirtied a hospital room, and the nurse thought it was easier to stay put where we were, so we stayed put).
Jack seems to be doing well, not feeling sick at all, he got home to see that Rob had aired up the tires in all the bikes, so currently Jack, Derek, and Sophie are all riding their bikes out front (eeeek!!!!).
I am staying inside because a. Jack's not supposed to ride a bike right now. b. I would drive him crazy saying be careful 100 times a minute. c. I would be even more of a nervous wreck than I am now. But he is a 6 yr. old boy who has been sitting still for 6 hours. And I think that the no bike riding probably means no crazy bike riding, jumps, riding fast, slamming on brakes...and Jack is still on training wheels which prevent him from going anything but slow. So I will let him play and have fun with his daddy, but just not look.
Our next chemo date is one week from today, Tuesday, the 16th. Same bat time, same bat channel, and now we know all the paperwork is taken care of we should be in and out in 3-4 hours next week. Thanks for your prayers, today was good.
Love, Tammy

Comments

Anonymous said…
Tammy,
Just hearing how easily Jack made it through today, has been a blessing already for you and him. Well, except for him being bored. :) If that is the worst part of his day, it sounds pretty typical for a child his age.

Hope you all continue to feel our prayers going up for you.
Lois Perkins
Sarah said…
Those of us that, thank God, don't spend our days in and out of medical procedures forget how much of that time is spent WAITING and staring at the very sterile walls! And I am such an impatient waiter that I don't even have to imagine how BORED Jack was. Bless you all.

And I think you made a wise decision to let Rob be a daddy with his boys and girl and simply look the other way. Hopefully Jack will remember times like that from this season in his life (being a rebel and riding his training-wheeled bike with his dad) rather than other yukky times.

Continuing to pray for Jack to feel good enough to be BORED and that you all may know God's peace on your journey.
Love to you all. . .
Anonymous said…
Sarah is just so eloquent . . . so I ditto what she said.

Thinking about all of you and praying for you.

Love,
Carole Houston
Anonymous said…
WHEW! What a day! You should all sleep well tonight! I've thought of you guys all day today...wondering how things were going. Glad to hear that Jack made it easily through the treatment. Check to see if we have any DVDs in the church library that Jack may not have seen and I'll loan them to you for some Tuesday! You were smart to go so prepared! Glad, too, to hear that when Jack got home that he was ready to ride bikes. Breathe a sigh of relief that today is behind you and you know what to anticipate for the coming treatments. You are simply amazing! God bless you and strengthen you all! Prayers abound for you all from this home!!
Love you
Gwen
Anonymous said…
I don't know Sarah but "ditto" to her comments....someone at work wanted to know about the "this little light of mine" bracelet...Jack's prayer circle just keeps growing and growing. :-)

hugs

dixie and tom
Anonymous said…
Tammy,
Once again you amaze me by opening your heart and candidly sharing with us what must be such a difficult experience. You encourage me with your writing and remind me to constantly be in prayer. I will be praying for you and Rob and the kids as school starts and you get into this new routine. I will also continue to pray for miraculous healing for Jack.
Anonymous said…
tammy,
I wish i had your phone number so we could talk. My cell number is 214-215-6646. please call.

tom barton
Anonymous said…
Tammy,
I'm so relieved for you and Jack that you have this "first" behind you (and, of course, that the insurance is worked out now). What Jack is likely to remember most from the day is the bike riding, since all the waiting might be too boring to bother remembering - ?

May God's peace rest on you all as you handle each step of the way.

Love, Gay
Anonymous said…
Hi Tammy,
This is Andi from Phoenix. A very old Wherehouse friend. Mish shared your story with me and I wanted to let you know that my heart and prayers are with you and the family. It looks like you have many friends in faith standing with you. I have a special child who has many medical needs now too so I can feel your pain to a certain extent. Jack sounds like an amazing young man. Stay strong, and please call or email anytime you need. Andicox@aol.com or 602-575-1246
Peace and love,
Andi
Anonymous said…
Glad it went well and glad Jack did get to have some fun after all that "boring waiting"!!

You're in our constant thoughts and prayers. I hope every Tuesday he'll have something to look forward to at the end of the treatment and hope he continues to feel good before/during/after!

We love you guys!
James, Teri, Brittany, Ashlee
Anonymous said…
Tammy -

Have you ever thought of becoming a writer? Your honesty and candid remarks and real observations of your surrounding world are so heart touching and warming. What a gift.

I'm glad to learn that Jack was bored! Such a bothersome word... bored! nothing to do. Love it!

I have to ditto another commenter on the bracelet. Me and my 4 kids wear ours and get to share Jack's story - so the prayer warriors are even more numerous by the day!
Continued prayers - Shalom - because only in God is there perfect, true peace!
Love - Cheri (Rhineheimer) Casciola
Anonymous said…
Thanks for continuing to share your journey with us so that we can continue lifting your family in prayers. We love you and are so inspired by the way you are sharing your experience with us. I know it is by the grace of God that you are able to do this, so know that we will continue to "bother" God on your behalf!!!

Lots of love,
Connie
Anonymous said…
Tammy, I am so glad to read the updates on Jack and the family.
I guess today is chemo day again.

Our prayers for Jack shall continue!

Love,

Sharon Winkler

Popular Posts