"Be not dismayed, for I am your God"....those words bring warmth to my heart.

We just got home from a very long day at chemo. Good news is Jack's anc counts are back up into the 2000 range. So glad about that. He wasn't feeling well this morning so he didn't go to school before his chemo appointment. A long day of doing nothing but sitting in a chair and watching movies made him very tired. He was set on buying his class more donuts today then finishing out the day at school. By the time we left school was out, he is not too happy about that! Next week we have chemo on Wednesday and he will be able to go to school most of the day Wednesday before his appointment. He definately does not like missing school.

He is enjoying his bald head. All the kids were kind to him at school, but he does want them to see the Charlie Brown movie that Dallas Children's gave us about a little girl who loses her hair from chemo. I think he likes to know that the other kids have some information about what he is dealing with. Information for Jack is a good thing. I am glad to be home, and Jack is now taking a much needed nap. His MRI is less than two weeks away, keep that in your prayers.

Some exciting news this week is we received the packet for Jack's Make a Wish Trip. I just need to fill it out. I think Jack has decided on DisneyWorld. Once we explained to him that his ideal vacation didn't have to be at the local hotel, he opened up his horizons a bit. We are looking at maybe next summer or the summer after that. Just depends on how Jack's treatments are going.

I have been a little sad this week since Jack's hair left his head. He just "seems" so much sicker now, not that anything has changed, but you can't help thinking about the tumor more seeing all the scars on his head. I think it will just take a couple more days to get used to it. The receptionist at chemo asked if I was o.k. that I seemed a little down today, and the tears started rolling. Some weeks are easier than others. I think on this scripture alot..

".....for a little while you may have had to suffer grief in all kinds of trials. These have come so that your faith of greater worth than gold, which perishes even though refined by fire - may be proved genuine and may result in praise, glory and honor when Jesus Christ is revealed. " 1 Peter 1:6

and this one..

"Fear not, for I am with you. Be not dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you. Yes, I will help you. I will uphold you with my righteous right hand." Isaiah 41:10

We will talk again soon.
Love, Tammy

Comments

Sarah said…
Truly great words to cling to. I can definitely see how a bald head would make this moment in time that much harder. I am thankful that his counts are up! Yeah!

"Charlie Brown" and "bald head" in the same few lines makes me think about the funnies America's Funniest Video I have seen -- little toddler dude, still bald as a cue ball. His parents put him in a great Charlie Brown shirt. He was dancing, and showing it off, then when he turned around Charlie Brown's face was Sharpie-d to the back of the poor kids' head!! Oh, well, it has washed off by now and I think they won $10,000 for a little humiliation for their kid.

A very rude, smart-mouthed child just interrupted my train of thought (yes, my own -- I'm at home) while the other one is saying, "Can't you get me the scissors?". Pardon me, "I'm thankful for them, I'm thankful for them, I'm thankful for them." Sometimes it's hard to remember -- even at this blog!

Isaiah's words are quickly becoming my favorite words of comfort as well. Allow me to paraphrase one of my favorites just for Jack:
Even to your old age and through no hair
I am he, I am he who will sustain you.
I have made you and I will carry you;
I will sustain you and I will rescue you. (46:4)
Anonymous said…
Praise God for Jack's counts being up today. It's also good to hear that the children at school are being kind about Jack's head being shaved. I love the fact that Jack does not want to miss school. Our children are so blessed to have Christian teachers, nurses, principals, and friends at the school where they spend so many hours a day.

We missed Jack and Sophie in class last night, but I think you are very wise to keep Jack away from all that is going around right now.

Your whole family will continue to be in my prayers.
Unknown said…
I am so grateful to be able to come here and get updates on Jack and your family. You all are such an amazing family and we continue to think of you and pray for you as you are experiencing things you never dreamed would be a part of your lives. Just know that God walks beside you each step of the way and we are here cheering you on!!

I loved the donut story and how $9 worth of donuts made Jack's day. I also appreciated the insight on the difference between the word "for" and "in" when you were discussing the verse in I Thess.

Just know that even in the midst of all this, you are all being the light of Jesus to us!

Keep up and the good work and when you can't, lean on those of us who are here to help you through...

We love you,
Connie

Popular Posts